:: Balisawsaw ::These are just rantings of a Fool.

:: Welcome to Balisawsaw. Pinoy na Pinoy and Proud of it!!!:: Pinoy Time : contact:: Table of Contents::Past Tags

[::..archive..::]
Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)

TABLE OF CONTENTS.....................
[Chat rooms--UP Room atbp....::]
:: Francois
:: UP Stalwarts invades WW2BAM's EB
:: Pics of the WW2BAM GEB
:: WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE ROOM.
:: Scenes in UP room Part 69
:: UP ROOM FIGHTS : No. 2. The Grammar Police.
:: UP ROOM KEWLEGIAN: SHARLYNPH VISITS
:: My chat with Jules?...
:: UP ROOM FIGHT NO. 1.
[Features: Posts From Friends.....::]
:: A POST FROM A FRIEND
:: ANOTHER POST FROM A FRIEND
:: MY SAD CHAT FRIEND: Post No. 1.
:: MY SAD CHAT FRIEND: Post No. 2.
[Humour.....::]
:: Chain Mail No. 4. Virus Warning Generator.
:: These are trying times
:: Chain Mail No. 3. Some Pretty Useless Things to Know
:: From Kids (humour
:: Biyaheng Peyups : Yan ba ang natutunan mo sa UP?
:: Biyaheng Peyups 2: Ang hirap maging
:: A Matter of Taste...
:: A Rhose, by Any Other Name
:: CHAIN LETTER NO. 1: Sexual Activity
:: Shit.
:: REJECTED PICK-UP LINES:.
[Inspirational..::]
:: Why We Are Poor? - Francisco Sionil Jose
:: Who is beautiful? - By Kristel S. Patapat
:: Non-alcoholic me - By Elen P. Farkas
:: Bridget Jones confessions - By Joan E. Kamatoy
:: Sex and the single Pinay - Ella Reyes
:: CHAIN MAIL NO. 2. Teacher
:: CHAIN MAIL NO. 1. Sexual Activity
:: I'VE LEARNED I'M A FOOL 1
:: I'VE LEARNED I'M A FOOL 2
:: I'VE LEARNED I'M A FOOL 3
:: I'VE LEARNED I'M A FOOL 4
:: I'VE LEARNED I'M A FOOL 5
:: I'VE LEARNED I'M A FOOL 6
[FRANCHISING..::]
:: Top 10 Reasons Why A Franchise is Better Investment
:: Franchising.
[POETRY SECTION!..::]
:: [Robert Frost]
:: THE ROAD NOT TAKEN
:: STOPPING BY WOODS ON A SNOWY EVENING
:: MENDING WALL
:: [HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW]
:: A PSALM OF LIFE
:: THE ARROW AND THE SONG
:: THERE WAS A LITTLE GIRL
:: [Robee.e.cummings]
:: i like my body when it is with your
:: RAISE THE SHADE
:: Here is little Effie's head
:: kitty". sixteen, 5' 11", white, prostitute
:: [A.E. Houseman]
:: WHEN I WAS ONE AND TWENTY
:: [Robert Herrick]
:: TO THE VIRGINS, TO MAKE MUCH OF TIME
[QUIZZES FOR WHIZZES..]
:: DRAGONS.
:: Brain Twisters
:: TWO TOUGH QUESTIONS:
:: Brain Twisters 2
:: Brain Twisters 3
[Anecdotes, Stories..]
:: Subject: EPISODE 3 - KNIGHTFALL
[Technical Posts......]
:: Tech Post 1. Table of Contents
:: Tech Post 2. New Template
:: Tech Post 3. Tag Archive
:: Tech Post 4. Adding a counter.
:: Tech Post 5. Winamp Plugin for Yahoo Messenger.
[::..Blogs of Friends..::]
:: UP Room Reggies
:: Official Homepage of the University room c/o Bryan
:: WW2BAM FORUM
:: Liteandbubbly
:: Meg
:: Persh
:: Myst
:: Kenchi
:: Andi
:: Mambie
:: schadenfreude
:: cutepnayflava
[::..Finalists for Filipino Blog Site of 2003..::]
:: amaya.pixeltastic.com
:: arvie.net
:: carlo.smallvilleph.com
:: ceaselesswanderings.com
:: cooking.houseonahill.net
:: evoque.org
:: fembot.tk
:: fourmistakes.pitas.com
:: greencapsule.org
:: ia.has.it
:: inababes.neominds.net
:: invaliddomain.com/~vern/
:: jikjikjik.blogspot.com
:: kabog.tk
:: kerentan.com
:: kwebgimo.com
:: cheesedip.com
:: nonstandardized.com/reboot.htm
:: pinkkeith.com/grinninglady
:: secretsigh.cjb.net
:: so-phobic.com
:: starbuckscoffeeforfree.com
:: suburbanwit.blogon.com
:: thirdcharm.blogspot.com
:: tin.smallvilleph.com
:: twentyplusone.tk
:: ulan25.so-phobic.com/blog
:: venice.fateback.com
:: yel.scarbitten.co.uk
:: clever-mind.net
:: sylvergenesis.com
:: lockload.com
:: makulit.org
:: nimrodel.net
[::..Finalists for Most Informative Blog of 2003..::]
:: ederic.com
:: twentyplusone.tk
:: fourmistakes.pitas.com
:: cooking.houseonahill.net
:: neocentric.org
:: bukayo.tk
:: jobert.blogspot.com
:: kulukoynimart.blogspot.com
:: 622design.com/blogger.html
[::..Finalists for Filipino Blogger of 2003..::]
:: taglish.blog-city.com
:: ceaselesswanderings.com
:: cooking.houseonahill.net
:: ia.has.it
:: inababes.neominds.net 
:: invaliddomain.com/~vern/
:: jikjikjik.blogspot.com
:: lockload.com
:: pinkkeith.com/grinninglady
:: so-phobic.com
:: starbuckscoffeeforfree.com
:: thirdcharm.blogspot.com
:: twentyplusone.tk
:: ulan25.so-phobic.com/blog
:: Adam Lasnik
:: Bill Walsh
:: Blog Sisters
:: Brooke Shelby Biggs
:: David Weinberger
:: Deborah Branscum
:: Dervala Hanley
:: Doc Searls
:: George
:: Gretchen Pirillo
:: Halley Suitt
:: JD Lasica
:: Jeneane Sessum
:: Leslie Harpold
:: Matt Pfeffer
:: Meg Hourihan
:: Mihai Banulescu
:: Mihai's LLSchoolJ
:: Mike Golby
:: Nino Marchetti
:: Peter Maass
:: Rebecca Blood
:: Richard Cody
:: Rick Talbot
:: Shelly Powers
:: A Small Victory
:: Stephanie Losi
:: Tim Farmer
:: Tom Tomorrow
More journalists
:: Blog List 1
:: Blog List 2

[::..recommended sites..::]
:: Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism (PCIJ)
:: Phil. Zip Codes
:: Phil. Typhoon Update
:: Maritess & SuperFriends
:: Free Translation
:: CNET News.com
:: Human Rights Watch
:: Poynter
:: SatireWire>Online Journalism Review
:: The Washington Post
:: Poynter
:: Bubble wrap
:: How to dance properly
:: I'd love to, but...
:: Web economy bullshit generator
:: Word game of the day

:: November 16, 2003 ::

Why I Have Hope for the Philippines
by Franco Varona

A Fraternity Brod sent me an email with an intro that goes, "As long as we’re discussing the country’s plight, might as well forward this to you guys (both the frustrated and the hopefuls)...Here’s a copy of some hopeful individual’s reply to the young Korean’s essay on the Philippines. Candy Varona (Filipino-Canadian) wrote:"

Please indulge me while I share with a lot of love and pride my son Franco’s unedited, straight-from-the heart essay which he wrote to me in response to a forwarded email of a Korean student’s essay on the Philippines. At times like this when our country is facing another crisis and we start to despair, it warms my heart that our youth have not given up on the Philippines. Frankie and I are so very proud of our Franco!

Hi mom, I read that forwarded email about that essay written by the Korean student and while I do agree with many of the points he brings up, it also kind of upset me that his viewpoints were being read and seemingly accepted by many Pinoys. So, I’ve decided to write you a little essay of my own with a little bit of a different point of view.

Why I Have Hope for the Philippines

I lived in the Philippines for a grand total of two and half years after growing up in Vancouver for a majority of my life. I finished off high school in Manila, then went on to college there for one sem. I left Manila in the beginning of 1999 for Syracuse, but something happened to me during my short stint in Manila- I began referring to it as “home”. My brief stay in the Philippines had affected me so deeply that I have subsequently geared the rest of my life towards helping the country out. I took up International Relations, with a concentration in Foreign Policy, War and Conflict Resolution- because I believed that a deep knowledge of all three of those aforementioned subjects CAN and WILL help the Philippines eventually. Before living in the Philippines, my motives were selfish and self-serving- I wanted to be a lawyer to make money, or be a journalist so I could, in my own way, shape the world throug! h my words. But living there and getting to know the country intimately helped me develop a love for the country that can only be compared to the love I have for my family. Now, I have every intention of using that degree to its fullest potential in any way I can for the country. Even though my birthplace is Canada and I spent my informative years in the USA, the Philippines has somehow found its way to my mind and my heart. And I say ‘my mind’ because I see the Philippines as a challenge, not as a sinking ship. And I believe there is a whole generation of young Pinoys that feel the same way as me.
The Korean essay was right in some ways- sometimes I meet up with second generation Filipino-Americans and they simply do not care. They don’t identify with the Philippines and perceive it to be a dirty, corrupt society. Although initially annoyed when I speak to these types of people, I eventually realize that it’s not their fault- they have lived in a developed nation all their lives and know no better. I myself used t! o be like that before moving back. But you know what the Korean essay didn’t mention? It happens with all second- and third-generation immigrant kids living in developed countries. Although I have met many FilAms who don’t wish to go back home, I also have met many Korean-Americans, Japanese-Americans, even Irish-Americans who don’t have any connection to home. There is love for the Philippines- the Korean essay was just looking in the wrong places.
Do you want to know where the national pride is? It’s in every Pinoy’s face on the streets of Manila, Cebu, Davao, or any other place in the Philippines. Life is hard for Filipinos- I see that everytime I’m home. But there is a mutual love shared between Pinoys. They enjoy the simplest of the simple things of ever! yday life- from the fishball vendor dancing outside a nightclub in the wee hours of the morning to the late night security guard that wakes up just to give you a nod and a smile. Although generally the country has come under hard times, the Pinoy has somehow found a way to survive, and do it with a smile. When I go back to the Philippines, I don’t see the jaded looks of misery I see in the streets of North America. I see in every Pinoy’s face a glint of hope- that everything can only get better from here on out. National pride is also in today’s college student- today’s young working Filipino. I have been lucky enough to have run into a rather large, very motivated group of young Filipinos outside of the Philippines that harbor an immense love for the country. I’ve seen these people in college, I’ve hung out with them in different cities and amongst these young Filipinos, there is one prevailing theme. They have goals, they have passion, and they are driven to succeed. Sure, they may spend a few years out of the Philippines after schooling, but they will go back. And when they do, Mom, I promise you a Renaissance. These are the people that will lead our country into better times- these are the people that will bring back with them the knowledge and the drive to motivate others. These are the people that will bridge the gap between the “masa” and the rich. These are the people that will take that glint of hope in every Pinoy’s eye and create a wildfire of productivity and efficiency.
The Philippines is still, by definition, a young country. There have been mistakes made in the past, but we will learn, won’t we? It’s just human nature. I don’t look at the Philippines as a country that “was” one of the richest in SE Asia and now is one of the poorest- I look at the Philippines as the country that has the largest upside. Just be patient, and watch as the younger generation moves into place. You will see a more educated, less selfish government take the seat of power. You will see plans put into effect that were formulated and perfected which were fueled by years of anger against the poverty we now see. A new Philippines will emerge soon, and soon we won’t have to bear the pity of a Korean student. I can promise you that much mom, because I know I’m one of the many that will be working towards that. If the Korean student’s essay on the Philippines went around, let us make sure that this more inspiring essay reach every Filipino’s heart

:: Bing Sunday, November 16, 2003 [+] ::
...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com