:: Balisawsaw ::These are just rantings of a Fool.

:: Welcome to Balisawsaw. Pinoy na Pinoy and Proud of it!!!:: Pinoy Time : contact:: Table of Contents::Past Tags

[::..archive..::]
Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)

TABLE OF CONTENTS.....................
[Chat rooms--UP Room atbp....::]
:: Francois
:: UP Stalwarts invades WW2BAM's EB
:: Pics of the WW2BAM GEB
:: WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE ROOM.
:: Scenes in UP room Part 69
:: UP ROOM FIGHTS : No. 2. The Grammar Police.
:: UP ROOM KEWLEGIAN: SHARLYNPH VISITS
:: My chat with Jules?...
:: UP ROOM FIGHT NO. 1.
[Features: Posts From Friends.....::]
:: A POST FROM A FRIEND
:: ANOTHER POST FROM A FRIEND
:: MY SAD CHAT FRIEND: Post No. 1.
:: MY SAD CHAT FRIEND: Post No. 2.
[Humour.....::]
:: Chain Mail No. 4. Virus Warning Generator.
:: These are trying times
:: Chain Mail No. 3. Some Pretty Useless Things to Know
:: From Kids (humour
:: Biyaheng Peyups : Yan ba ang natutunan mo sa UP?
:: Biyaheng Peyups 2: Ang hirap maging
:: A Matter of Taste...
:: A Rhose, by Any Other Name
:: CHAIN LETTER NO. 1: Sexual Activity
:: Shit.
:: REJECTED PICK-UP LINES:.
[Inspirational..::]
:: Why We Are Poor? - Francisco Sionil Jose
:: Who is beautiful? - By Kristel S. Patapat
:: Non-alcoholic me - By Elen P. Farkas
:: Bridget Jones confessions - By Joan E. Kamatoy
:: Sex and the single Pinay - Ella Reyes
:: CHAIN MAIL NO. 2. Teacher
:: CHAIN MAIL NO. 1. Sexual Activity
:: I'VE LEARNED I'M A FOOL 1
:: I'VE LEARNED I'M A FOOL 2
:: I'VE LEARNED I'M A FOOL 3
:: I'VE LEARNED I'M A FOOL 4
:: I'VE LEARNED I'M A FOOL 5
:: I'VE LEARNED I'M A FOOL 6
[FRANCHISING..::]
:: Top 10 Reasons Why A Franchise is Better Investment
:: Franchising.
[POETRY SECTION!..::]
:: [Robert Frost]
:: THE ROAD NOT TAKEN
:: STOPPING BY WOODS ON A SNOWY EVENING
:: MENDING WALL
:: [HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW]
:: A PSALM OF LIFE
:: THE ARROW AND THE SONG
:: THERE WAS A LITTLE GIRL
:: [Robee.e.cummings]
:: i like my body when it is with your
:: RAISE THE SHADE
:: Here is little Effie's head
:: kitty". sixteen, 5' 11", white, prostitute
:: [A.E. Houseman]
:: WHEN I WAS ONE AND TWENTY
:: [Robert Herrick]
:: TO THE VIRGINS, TO MAKE MUCH OF TIME
[QUIZZES FOR WHIZZES..]
:: DRAGONS.
:: Brain Twisters
:: TWO TOUGH QUESTIONS:
:: Brain Twisters 2
:: Brain Twisters 3
[Anecdotes, Stories..]
:: Subject: EPISODE 3 - KNIGHTFALL
[Technical Posts......]
:: Tech Post 1. Table of Contents
:: Tech Post 2. New Template
:: Tech Post 3. Tag Archive
:: Tech Post 4. Adding a counter.
:: Tech Post 5. Winamp Plugin for Yahoo Messenger.
[::..Blogs of Friends..::]
:: UP Room Reggies
:: Official Homepage of the University room c/o Bryan
:: WW2BAM FORUM
:: Liteandbubbly
:: Meg
:: Persh
:: Myst
:: Kenchi
:: Andi
:: Mambie
:: schadenfreude
:: cutepnayflava
[::..Finalists for Filipino Blog Site of 2003..::]
:: amaya.pixeltastic.com
:: arvie.net
:: carlo.smallvilleph.com
:: ceaselesswanderings.com
:: cooking.houseonahill.net
:: evoque.org
:: fembot.tk
:: fourmistakes.pitas.com
:: greencapsule.org
:: ia.has.it
:: inababes.neominds.net
:: invaliddomain.com/~vern/
:: jikjikjik.blogspot.com
:: kabog.tk
:: kerentan.com
:: kwebgimo.com
:: cheesedip.com
:: nonstandardized.com/reboot.htm
:: pinkkeith.com/grinninglady
:: secretsigh.cjb.net
:: so-phobic.com
:: starbuckscoffeeforfree.com
:: suburbanwit.blogon.com
:: thirdcharm.blogspot.com
:: tin.smallvilleph.com
:: twentyplusone.tk
:: ulan25.so-phobic.com/blog
:: venice.fateback.com
:: yel.scarbitten.co.uk
:: clever-mind.net
:: sylvergenesis.com
:: lockload.com
:: makulit.org
:: nimrodel.net
[::..Finalists for Most Informative Blog of 2003..::]
:: ederic.com
:: twentyplusone.tk
:: fourmistakes.pitas.com
:: cooking.houseonahill.net
:: neocentric.org
:: bukayo.tk
:: jobert.blogspot.com
:: kulukoynimart.blogspot.com
:: 622design.com/blogger.html
[::..Finalists for Filipino Blogger of 2003..::]
:: taglish.blog-city.com
:: ceaselesswanderings.com
:: cooking.houseonahill.net
:: ia.has.it
:: inababes.neominds.net 
:: invaliddomain.com/~vern/
:: jikjikjik.blogspot.com
:: lockload.com
:: pinkkeith.com/grinninglady
:: so-phobic.com
:: starbuckscoffeeforfree.com
:: thirdcharm.blogspot.com
:: twentyplusone.tk
:: ulan25.so-phobic.com/blog
:: Adam Lasnik
:: Bill Walsh
:: Blog Sisters
:: Brooke Shelby Biggs
:: David Weinberger
:: Deborah Branscum
:: Dervala Hanley
:: Doc Searls
:: George
:: Gretchen Pirillo
:: Halley Suitt
:: JD Lasica
:: Jeneane Sessum
:: Leslie Harpold
:: Matt Pfeffer
:: Meg Hourihan
:: Mihai Banulescu
:: Mihai's LLSchoolJ
:: Mike Golby
:: Nino Marchetti
:: Peter Maass
:: Rebecca Blood
:: Richard Cody
:: Rick Talbot
:: Shelly Powers
:: A Small Victory
:: Stephanie Losi
:: Tim Farmer
:: Tom Tomorrow
More journalists
:: Blog List 1
:: Blog List 2

[::..recommended sites..::]
:: Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism (PCIJ)
:: Phil. Zip Codes
:: Phil. Typhoon Update
:: Maritess & SuperFriends
:: Free Translation
:: CNET News.com
:: Human Rights Watch
:: Poynter
:: SatireWire>Online Journalism Review
:: The Washington Post
:: Poynter
:: Bubble wrap
:: How to dance properly
:: I'd love to, but...
:: Web economy bullshit generator
:: Word game of the day

:: March 09, 2007 ::

A few weeks ago, I was shuffling toward the basement with a steaming cup of coffee in one hand and the morning paper in the other. I turned the dial up into the phone portion of the band on my ham radio in order to listen to a Saturday morning swap net. Along the way, I came across an older sounding chap, with a tremendous signal and a golden voice. He was telling whoever he was talking with something about "a thousand marbles."
I was intrigued and stopped to listen to what he had to say. "Well, Tom, it sure sounds like you're busy with your job. I'm sure they pay you well but it's a shame you have to be away from home and your family so much. Hard to believe a young fellow should have to work sixty or seventy hours a week to make ends meet. Too bad you missed your daughter's dance recital." He continued, "Let me tell you something Tom, something that has helped me keep a good perspective on my own priorities." And that's when he began to explain his theory of a "thousand marbles." "You see, I sat down one day and did a little arithmetic. The average person lives about seventy-five years. I know, some live more and some live less, but on average, folks live about seventy-five years. Now then, I multiplied 75 times 52 and I came up with 3900 which is the number of Saturdays that the average person has in their entire lifetime.
Now stick with me Tom, I'm getting to the important part. It took me until I was fifty-five years old to think about all this in any detail," he went on, "and by that time I had lived through over twenty-eight hundred Saturdays. I got to thinking that if I lived to be seventy-five, I only had about a thousand of them left to enjoy. So I went to a toy store and bought every single marble they had. I ended up having to visit three toy stores to roundup 1000 marbles. I took them home and put them inside of a large, clear plastic container right here in the shack next to my gear.
Every Saturday since then, I have taken one marble out and thrown it away. I found that by watching the marbles diminish, I focused more on the really important things in life. There is nothing like watching your time here on this earth run out to help get your priorities straight.
Now let me tell you one last thing before I sign-off with you and take my lovely wife out for breakfast. This morning, I took the very last marble out of the container. I figure if I make it until next Saturday then I have been given a little extra time. And the one thing we can all use is a little more time. It was nice to meet you
Tom, I hope you spend more time with your family, and I hope to meet you again here on the band. 75 year Old Man, this is K9NZQ, clear and going QRT, good morning!"
You could have heard a pin drop on the band when this fellow signed off. I guess he gave us all a lot to think about. I had planned to work on the antenna that morning, and then I was going to meet up with a few hams to work on the next club newsletter. Instead, I went upstairs and woke my wife up with a kiss. "C'mon honey, I'm taking you and the kids to breakfast." "What brought this on?" she asked with a smile. "Oh, nothing special, it's just been a long time since we spent a Saturday together with the kids. Hey, can we stop at a toy store while we're out? I need to buy some marbles."

:: Bing Friday, March 09, 2007 [+] ::
...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com